Special Needs 

Arthur Miller School funds a part time reading recovery teacher,  a number of teacher aides who work with children who have particular identified learning difficulties.  In addition we have a range of programmes to assist children on their  learning journey such as Talk to Learn (Oral language), Phonic support programmes, Support for Speakers of other languages and social skills training.

On entry to school students are monitored closely and at an early interview with the new entrant teacher a child may be identified with learning difficulties. If these are slight to moderate, these needs can usually be catered for within the classroom setting and through our in-school support programmes. We may also seek assistance from the local Resource teachers of Learning and Behaviour.

If a child has specific literacy needs at aged 6, some are selected for reading recovery.

More severe global needs usually means a referral to other agencies such as Group Special Education and may result in teacher aide hours being allocated to assist the child for part of the school day. These hours are hard to come by so student needs must be prioritised and a case made for extra funding.  

Gifted and Talented

Individual Gifted and Talented students are extended through differentiation of the curriculum within classrooms. A self directed and more personalised  focus  across the school , enables all students to work at their own pace and  be challenged.  The emphasis on a curriculum supported by 1-1 devices in Team Kauri has personaised the learning for our Year 5-6 students. 

We do  have an accelerate maths class in Team Kauri. 

In addition, at various times during the year teachers select students for particular small group work with a tutor where the focus is on a learning area such as literacy or art, science or physical education. These programmes tend to take place in blocks of time; for e.g. every afternoon for a week or three mornings and so on. These programmes are designed to challenge the abilities of these students who can work collaboratively under the guidance of an expert tutor.