The School Council

The student council is elected from the Year 6 student group. 
Senior students vote for the 12  councillors and so do the staff. Students are expected to prepare and give a speech to their peers about why they think they would make a good student councillor. The council meet regularly, learn about meeting procedures and organise events and activities for the younger children of the school.  Each councillor is "buddied up" with new entrants so that, during a new entrant's transition to school, they will know an older student.  Now and again the councillors will share lunch with the new entrant class and organise a "wheels day " where the junior classes bring their skateboards and scooters, and they are allowed to ride around on a dedicated area of the playground supervised and helped by the councillors. 

2018 School Councillors

Pippa LeComte Fleming

Elsie Smith

Eva Sinden

Tyler Bryant

Charlie Furlong

Archie Furlong

Jack Bentin

Sam Blakemore

Yaman Gider

Oliver Lake

Patrick Farquhar 

Lochie Kidd 

Comments from 2018 councillors

Elsie Smith

Hi, my name is Elsie, one of the school councillors for 2018. I started Arthur Miller when I was in year five in January 2017. I found Arthur Miller to be a wonderful school to go to because it’s a great encouraging environment to learn in.  I enjoyed the fun experiences I have had at AMS like the school trip to see the waka. I also really enjoy cross country and Athletics. They are  great times to get active. AMS is a very supportive place where everyone gets cheered on.

Tyler Bryant

Hi, my name is Tyler Bryant and I am a student of Arthur Miller. I have been here for six years and unfortunately this is my last year. I think we have got the coolest school in Taradale! Arthur Miller has heaps of activities and fun stuff for your child to take part in, like basketball, netball, hockey, cricket and much more. Our school is a uniform free school so we get to wear whatever you want which I think is so cool cause there are hardly any schools like that, so I think it’s brilliant.

Archie Furlong  

Hi my name is Archie. I have been involved in many things throughout my time here at AMS. Since I’ve been at AMS, I have had the opportunity to do a range of cool things like:

1. Participate in Spooner Shield
  2. Lead the Kapa Haka
  3. Play in the barefoot 7s team
  4. Anzac speech competition
  5. School production
  6. And a School Councillor

And a variety of other fun things. If I did not go to AMS, and without the great support of teachers and parents, I may not have experienced these things. I hope these reasons make you want to go to AMS - you’ll never regret it.

Charlie Furlong

Hi, My name is Charlie Furlong and I am a year 6 councillor at AMS.  I have been involved in many things throughout my time at this school, and when I’m doing those activities I have really good teammates and teachers to help me get through the tough times. I like how all the students and teachers are really kind and awesome. My friends and siblings are really motivating so that also helps me to achieve my best.

Eva Sinden

Hello my name is Eva Sinden. I have been at Arthur Miller School since I was five years old. I have made some amazing friends at school, some friends I have had since I have stated. I love all the teachers here.  They help me get better at what I am learning and make school fun. My favourite things to do at AMS are play in our beautiful nature corner and play on our huge playgrounds.  

Peer Mediators

These are senior students in the school who are
trained to deal with low level incidents in the
playground. They are another set of students who help to maintain the caring and collaborative values we believe important in our school culture.

The Green Team

This is a group of  students who share a keen interest in the environment.  On one afternoon during the week they are often out and about planting or tending our vege and fruit garden, maintaining and manging our native corner of over 100 trees.  Here they are filling the vege boxes with mushroom compost for the season's planting. Much of this work is done in lunchtimes.

PALs - Physical Activity Leaders

PALs for 2018-

The physical activity leaders  plan and run organised games for junior and senior students on Tuesday lunchtimes.

Charlie Furlong

Archie Furlong

Lochie Kidd

Logan Leith

Jake Stringer

Daniel Jones

Denny Trow

Tyler Bryant

Pippa LeComte Flemming

Kayley Finn 

Elsie Smith